35 could be a turning point.

While not every woman ages in the same way, experts agree that the amount of time
you've been trying to conceive may help to determine if it's time for an evaluation.
Timing can also vary whether you're under or over age 35. Learn more about these
guidelines and test your fertility knowledge by taking our quiz. You may be surprised
to learn that several common factors can affect a couple's ability to get pregnant.



30-second quiz

Question 1

Men and women are equally likely to
have fertility problems.

Please choose
an answer.
Source: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: Infertility

If you think you are ready to speak with a fertility specialist, use the locator tool to help you find one near you. You can also learn more about the fertility treatment options that may be available to you.

How to know if you need a fertility evaluation

If you are over 35 and have been trying to get pregnant for over 6 months, or under age 35 and have been trying to get pregnant for over a yeara, the American Society for Reproductive Medicine guidelines recommend that you have an evaluation, which may provide some perspective on, and information about your fertility journey.

What is a fertility specialist?b

If you have determined that you might need help conceiving, meeting with someone who specializes in the treatment of infertility may be the next step.

A fertility specialist, also referred to as a reproductive endocrinologist (RE), is simply an obstetrician-gynecologist (OB/GYN) who has completed additional training in the form of a 2- or 3-year fellowship in the treatment of infertility (reproductive endocrinology). Upon completion of training, a specialist seeks board certification from the American Board of Medical Specialties, which requires successful completion of oral and written exams. Only those physicians who complete the fellowship and pass the exams can become board-certified fertility specialists.

In addition to REs who specialize in infertility treatment, some physicians have gained skills through experience outside fellowship training. As with any doctor, it's important to ask your prospective fertility specialist about his/her qualifications.

Fertility specialists can help you to explore fertility options that might work for you.

  • aPelvic inflammatory disease (PID), as defined by ASRM, is the inflammation of the female upper reproductive tract (uterus, fallopian tubes, and ovaries) usually resulting from infection with sexually transmitted diseases (STDs), especially chlamydia and/or gonorrhea.
  • aEndometriosis, as defined by ASRM, is a condition in which endometrial tissue, which normally lines the uterus, develops outside of the uterine cavity in abnormal locations such as the ovaries, fallopian tubes, and abdominal cavity.
  • aDefinition of infertility according to ASRM, approved in February 2008.
  • bDefinition of fertility specialist according to ASRM.



Locate a fertility specialist near you.



Questions to ask when you meet with your doctor.