How to choose a fertility clinic
You'll want to learn as much as possible about the fertility specialist and clinic you choose, so you feel
confident and comfortable throughout the process. Here are some basic questions that will help shed
some light on the fertility clinic's success rates, basic guidelines and paying requirements:
- What are the clinic's live birth rates for my age group?
- Does the fertility clinic have an age limit? For what reasons?
- What is the rate of multiple births?
- What counseling and support services are available at the clinic?
- How much will treatment cost?
This isn't a comprehensive list, but it should give you a good start. Many things will, of course, depend on your individual situation.
When considering fertility treatment, you'll find many resources available online that can provide you with useful information. Talking to friends (and friends of friends) who may have gone through it may also give you invaluable insight into what you can expect.
Here are some resources that may be helpful in your research into fertility treatments.
- American Society for Reproductive Medicine (ASRM)
- RESOLVE: The National Infertility Association
- A downloadable PDF about your Fertility Treatment Options
- aBased on a 2009 U.S. fertility survey of 57 survey participants conducted by GfK Roper Public Affairs & Media on behalf of Schering-Plough. 91% of the respondents (37 men, 15 women) would go to a fertility specialist sooner than they did.